Collision Damage Property is technically not an insurance but a waiver of responsibility. It is an optional damage coverage available when renting a vehicle. In the United Kingdom, CDW is a legal requirement included in the basic rental rate. By purchasing this, you will not be accountable for any loss or damage in case of an accident, depending on the company’s terms and agreement.
Choice Vehicle Rentals includes CDW but it is not valid unless prepaid and will not in any event be valid if the terms of this agreement are broken.
In the event of the accident or incident involving the hired vehicle, regardless of there being any damage, the hirer and any driver shall:
- Notify the company at the earliest opportunity and before the expiry of the contract.
- Ensure that the company has a completed accident report form within 7 days of any accident or incident.
- In any event of an accident, be particular of all the individuals involved.
- Notify the police immediately.
- Do not admit any liability or blame.
- Pay all appropriate excesses in full before the end of the hire period.
- Keep the copy of all the documents in relation to the accident.
- Settle any payment that is made to the third party when the company has not been informed of any accident or incident as above or the applicable excess has not been paid.
Exclusions to CDW
- Damage to the hirer’s or drivers’ own property in which the driver or the hirer has an interest.
- Damage caused while the vehicle is being used off the public roads. Damage to the under body or roof of the vehicle.
- Reckless damage by the hirer or his associate.
- Damage caused while the driver is under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Damage caused by any person not stated on the hire agreement.
Always make sure that you follow all the rules and regulations when hiring a vehicle. By following all the terms and conditions of Choice Vehicle Rentals regarding CDW, you will be insured for any accident or incident. Still, it is always better to be careful when you are driving.